7. Review and Sample Questions
The Review given below is meant to be representative of the
kind of questions that will appear on the test. It is not
meant to be an exhaustive list. Questions on the test will
be mostly True False and multiple choice questions. When you
are ready to take the exam, email BIRC, and you will be given
a link to the online test. Results of the exam will be emailed
to you. The BIRC email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Can spot treatments outside be used in EcoWise Certified?
2. If a pesticide is used outside, which pesticide evaluation
criteria are important?
3. Can crack and crevice treatments be used in EcoWise Certified
4. What kind of pesticides must be used for spot treatments
5. Are perimeter sprays allowed by EcoWise Certified?
6. If a pesticide fails to pass the pesticide evaluation criteria,
in what cases might it be exempted?
7. Can baits be used in EcoWise Certified treatments?
8. Can pesticides be applied to wall voids?
9. Does EcoWise Certified allow for pesticide applications
to a ground nest of yellowjackets?
10. Can rodent baits be used in an EcoWise Certified service?
11. When can foggers be used in an EcoWise Certified service?
12. Can Category I formulations be used in an EcoWise Certified
13. When can carcinogenic active ingredients be exempted in
14. Does EcoWise Certified allow the use of reproductive toxicants?
15. Does EcoWise Certified require an applicator to evaluate
the likelihood of harm or damage to non-target organisms?
1. What kind of pesticides are used most frequently in structural
2. Name a physical control for a German cockroach.
3. Name a physical control for an Argentine ant.
4. Is an herbicide a pesticide?
5. According to FIFRA, is a repellent a pesticide?
6. What kind of pesticide can have an impact on a roach population
without causing mortality?
7. Suggest a habitat modification to discourage rats.
8. Suggest a sanitation method to discourage roaches.
9. What is a good cockroach exclusion method?
10. What areas should be vacuumed as a cockroach control method?
11. What kind of exclusion treatment can be applied to a bed
to control bed bugs?
12. Does planting a dense groundcover such as Algerian ivy
work as a habitat modification to discourage rats?
13. Your client does not want you to use roach sprays. What
kind of reduced-risk chemical control is possible?
14. Your client wants you to apply a perimeter spray for ants.
What kind of formulation would be allowed by the EcoWise Certification
15. Is a sticky trap a physical control, a monitoring device,
16. What IPM treatment components can be used for roaches
if your client does not want you to use chemicals?
17. If you are going to use roach baits to help control German
cockroaches, where should they be applied?
18. If you are going to use sticky traps to monitor for German
cockroaches in what areas should the be applied?
19. If you were going to inspect for roaches, where would
you look first?
20. If monitoring has identified an invasion of Argentine
ants, where should ant baits be applied?
21. Is it a good idea to use ant baits outside to help control
22. If you wanted to choose an ant bait that contained no
carcinogens, which bait would you choose?
23. If you wanted to choose a roach bait that contained no
carcinogens, which bait would you choose?
24. Some flowering plants encourage beneficial insects that
kill aphids. How can planting fennel discourage ant populations
25. When does secondary poisoning occur with rat baits?
26. What kind of rodenticide is least likely to lead to secondary
27. How do rats get into structures? What kind of exclusion
methods are likely to be effective?
28. What kind of rat trap is most likely to be successful?
29. What is the best rat bait to use on a trap?
30. What kind of pests are leaky pipes and faucets likely
31. What kind of treatment component is reducing clutter?
32. Is replacing a damaged vent screen in a building an IPM
IPM Versus Conventional Management
1. What is the most important component of an IPM program?
2. Is a combination of monitoring, sanitation, and roach baits
considered an IPM program for roaches?
3. How do you decide on which IPM treatment components to
use for roaches?
4. If the only treatment for roaches is monthly application
of roach baits, is that a conventional program or an IPM plan?
5. Could simultaneous application of roach baits and sticky
monitoring traps be considered IPM management?
6. Are monthly applications of crack and crevice sprays for
roaches considered conventional treatment or IPM treatment?
7. Name a number of roach baits that might be used in an IPM
8. Name a number of ant bait formulations that might be used
in an IPM program.
9. A property is inspected for bed bugs, monitoring traps
are deployed, and bed bugs are discovered. What would be a
conventional treatment? Describe an IPM treatment for bed
10. If an apartment complex is being managed to eliminate
cockroaches, how often should sticky monitoring traps be inspected.
11. If roaches are found in monitoring traps, what factors
are considered before treatment?
12. What is most likely to be more effective, an IPM program
for roaches or a conventional program?
Water Quality Problems
1. What kind of pesticide formulation is most likely to contaminate
2. What kind of pesticide treated surface is most likely to
lead to water contamination?
3. Which kind of pesticide active ingredient has the most
impacts on water quality?
4. Which kind of pesticide active ingredient is most likely
to contaminate stream sediments?
5. Are pesticides removed at sewage treatment plants?
6. Why do water regulators discourage perimeter treatments
7. Why is low soil mobility important for pesticides applied
8. Where does the water in storm sewers go?
9. What kind of pesticide is least likely to contaminate water?
Sample Certified IPM Practitioner Exam Questions
1. What term is used in IPM to indicate the level at which
pests MUST be controlled?
a. Insect level
b. Disease severity
c. Action Threshold
d. Pest number
2. Your customer tells you they have small brown cockroaches
that are flying around their house. These are most likely
German cockroaches (Blattella germanica).
T or F
3. Which describes the development of a cockroach?
a. egg to nymph to pre adult to adult
b. egg to nymph to adult
c. egg to larva to pupa to adult
d. egg to larvae to adult
4. Baits attract ants, so baits:
a. are placed outside where there is ant activity to attract
ants out of a building
b. may have to be placed inside if the ant colony has moved
c. are placed outside where there is ant activity and will
reduce the potential of ants invading nearby structures.
d. all of the above
5. Foraging Argentine ants (Linepithema humile) travel long
distances and may be living on adjacent properties.
T or F
6. The most important factor in keeping rodents and birds
away from buildings is
b. using repellants
c. using bait
d. using traps
7. The three most important pest rodents in Northern California
are (circle three):
a. Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus)
b. deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus)
c. white-footed mice (P. spp.)
d. roof rats (R. rattus)
e. wood rats (Neotoma spp.)
f. house mice (Mus domesticus complex, or M.
g. pack rats (N. spp.)
8. Stressing rodents by removing cover, food and water sources:
a. makes them more difficult to control
b. makes them easier to control
c. makes no difference at all
9. Drugstore beetles (Stegobium paniceum) will readily feed
on dried pet food and dog cookies.
T or F
10. Rodenticides are toxic to stored product insect pests.
T or F
11. Which of the below best defines the principles of IPM
in one statement
a. IPM is a systems approach using multiple strategies
b. IPM focuses its strategies on biological controls
c. IPM promotes a single strategy for all pest problems
d. IPM is the most cost-effective means of killing pests
12. In the EcoWise Program standards, if the certified business
loses it’s only certified IPM Practitioner, it needs
to notify the certifying agent (the program) and may continue
to take on new IPM customers.
T or F
13. Revocation of an IPM Practitioner’s certification
may take place if which of the following occurs
a. failure to comply with the EcoWise Program standards
b. willfully making a false statement
c. incurring serious complaints from customers
d. all of the above
14. Which of the following is usually the most significant
contribution of pesticide runoff to storm drains from a customer’s
a. spot treatments to soil areas around the home
b. application of pesticides inside the home
c. application of pesticides to paved areas
d. none of the above
7. a, d, f